Day 5: August 12 - crew members throw bricks at a car
As you've probably heard, Hollywood has landed in Cleveland for the production of Marvel's "The Avengers."
The big-budget superhero flick has taken over our city streets for the next few weeks—and we've got your inside look at the production.
It all began on August 8 when film crews closed down each direction of E. 9th Street between Euclid and Prospect. Construction teams were busy re-decorating the buildings and installing phony pay phones in an effort to recreate New York City. There were also multiple props representing broken pieces of a building being placed—word is the street will feature an explosion.
By the third day of set construction, crushed vehicles were installed along with fake NYC signage.
On the fourth day, onlookers could only stare at the set from each end of the street since the sidewalk was officially shut down. Crews also removed the Euclid street signs and aged the freshly painted street.
A fake entrance to a NYC subway was added by the fifth day as crews were placing more damaged vehicles.
Be sure to check back every day for our updates on the production as it continues in Cleveland!
The first day of filming on E. 9th is expected to be Monday, August 15. The movie is also slated to shoot some scenes on Chevrolet Blvd. in Parma on Friday, August 19.
If you happen to see one of the stars walking around town, please send a picture our way!
If you wanted to get an up-close look at Hollywood in action, here's a list of the streets and dates in which they will be closed for the movie:
- E. 9th Street from Euclid to Prospect will be closed August 8 - September 1; alternate route is Carnegie, E. 18th Street and Superior.
- Euclid Avenue from E. 6th Street to E. 12th Street will be closed August 15 - 24; alternate route is E. 6th Street, Superior, E. 18th and Carnegie.
- Walnut Avenue from E. 9th Street to E. 12th Street will be closed August 22 - September 2; alternate route is E. 12th Street, Superior and Chester. Affected parking garage entrances have access via Superior and Chester.
- South Roadway from Superior to Ontario will be closed August 17 - 30; alternate route is Ontario and Superior.
- The Detroit Superior Bridge will be closed August 29; alternate route is the Main Avenue Bridge.
All production in Cleveland is expected to wrap up by September 2.
"The Avengers" is slated for release on May 4, 2012.
Click through our photo gallery to see more of the production!